Monday 1 April 2013

Game of Thrones: Season 3, Episode 1

Not symbolic at all.

Over the next few months the internet will be buzzing with hundreds or even thousands of posts and articles on the third season of Game of Thrones. Some of these recaps will provide predictions for the rest of the season, while others will analyze the series in a post-modern light, offering socio-historical analysis on the many relationships and political structures of the show, and it will be very boring. It seems natural that I should partake in such activities if for no other reason than the fact that after watching the first season, I became so obsessed with Martin's epic that I spent the rest of the spring and summer reading all four books in succession, after which I eagerly anticipated the fifth book and second season and now the third season and soon the sixth book and so on.

Where to begin? I adored the first season and watched every episode probably about three times. My favorite features of that season are the characterizations, the clever ties that link all the characters together, and how the narrative constantly operates for what is best for the series, not what the audience wants, like the killing of Ned Stark. When I first saw Ned on that stage, I knew that he would lie to everyone about not being a traitor in order to protect his family, and I also knew and immediately predicted that Joffrey was going to execute him anyway because it would be the most sensible and tragic plot twist, one leading to war. In that final scene, Ned betrays his honor for the first and last time, by lying in claiming that he tried to usurp the throne. He does this for his family, but by betraying his honor for family, he paid the ultimate price. This scene also functions to ensure that the viewer does not expect who will live in die from then on, a constant threat throughout both the books and series (and of utmost importance in Season 3. Hint: everyone dies). The moment in the show when the execution sword came down, I was so upset I threw a book at the wall. 

The first season also features fantastic build ups and foreshadowing to war. Ned Stark watches from the doorway as Arya takes sword-fighting classes, his countenance growing worried as a training maneuver imitates rendering her dead; Tywin Lannister graphically skins a deer while revealing to Jaime Lannister his disapproval for his position as he insists Jaime act accordingly to uphold the family name; Catelyn Stark and Robb display genuine grief and vengeance ("Then we will kill them all") after learning of Ned's death. When you watch the first season again, you pick up on subtle and almost completely cryptic maneuvering on behalf of Varys and Petyr Baelish, who present themselves as the most knowledgeable characters with several cards up their sleeves. 

After Season 1 ended, I  picked up the second book because I couldn't wait to find out what happens to all our old friends. You can imagine how excited I was for the second season after reading the second book. Unfortunately, my expectations were too high, and I ended up despising the second season. Many parts that I found important and/or entertaining were rushed in that season, including one of my favorite parts from the book, a more lengthy scene Arya where frees Jaqen H'ghar and the two other prisoners while hearing the screaming of burning animals in a barn, after which her, Gendry, and Hotpie embark on a trek to Harrenhal. Entire scenes featuring Roose Bolton are gone, as well, and is Daenerys' disorienting trip outwitting warlocks in the House of the Undying. Much of the second book is cut from the series and yet I didn't find that the show made up for what was lost with more revealing character developments or incredible shots; instead Season 2 included useless sex scenes (Renly, Ser Loras, and Margaery) and an excruciatingly boring romance between Robb Stark and a nurse Lady who has no purpose being there (although we all know the consequences of their stupid affair). The Battle of Blackwater episode was the best part of the season, but rushed, and Tyrion's injury is not nearly as scarring (literally and figuratively) as it is in the book. To make everything worse, the production value seemed to be lacking.

I was so angry with the second season I almost forgot the show all together. However, I watched the entire season last week and appreciated it more after a second viewing. All of the Stannis's scenes are imaginative and interesting, and I love the Red Woman and Davos. The often-suspenseful conversations between Arya and Tywin set up both characters as central aggressors on opposite sides of the war. North of the Wall, Q'horan Halfhand and Ygritte are both perfectly cast. 

But onto Season 3...

I didn't expect to love last night's episode as much as I did. Mance Rayder is probably one of the best characters in the entire series. Daenarys' grown-up dragons and Astapor are better than I imagined, and the entire Unsullied scene was incredible and spot-on from the book. Davos' rescue and conversation with Salladhor Saan brought new light to Stannis' rise, despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles. I love Davos! Tyrion and Tywin's confrontation and brilliant dialogue set the stage for all subsequent encounters and their ongoing father/son rivalry. Lastly, Sansa's secretive relationship with Littlefinger's is sure to elude us until the very end. 

My only beef with last night's episode is with Margaery Tyrell, who is supposed to be genuinely good in the book but comes off as conniving and manipulative in the series. I'm already tired of Cersei's jealousy, but I can't wait to see what Jaime is up to. Oh, I also I appreciated the scene when Margaery slums it in Flea Bottom, because the Red Keep was feeling pretty claustrophobic to me, and its nice to see some dimension to King's Landing. I only have one final question left: Where is Theon? (Reek, Reek, it rhymes with freak.)

Very excited for next Sunday. Let's hope that Season 3 will be the best season yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment